Ladies’ Golf Club of Toronto is North America’s only remaining private golf club established by women for women. The Club was founded in 1924 by Ada Mackenzie.
In the early 20th century, it wasn’t easy for female golfers to get access to tee times and practice facilities. After playing at women’s clubs in Britain, Ada set about creating a women's golf club in Toronto. After much hard work and fundraising, Ladies’ Golf Club of Toronto Ltd. was established in Thornhill in 1924. In 1925, nine holes were available for play. The official opening event on August 23, 1926, was a match between Ada Mackenzie and Helen Paget of Royal Ottawa Club on the new Stanley Thompson designed course.
Ada's CBC radio audio interview done by Bob Keston on June 20, 1949. Please click here. The interview runs for 2 minutes 30 seconds.